New Graduate Registered Nurse, Decatur Memorial Hospital
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: October 14, 2020
The New Graduate Registered Nurse is a full-time registered nurse
position with a one-year Nurse Residency Program that assists you
in transitioning from a new graduate to a professional nurse. As a
New Graduate Registered Nurse, you will receive a carefully planned
combination of on-the-job and classroom education.
This program allows you to build relationships with other new RNs
and to learn more about all areas of nursing throughout the
hospital. The New Graduate Registered Nurse will receive support
from their Nurse Manager, Preceptor, Mentor, other unit staff.
There are monthly residency sessions that will provide you with a
strong foundation for the lifelong learning ahead.
In addition to the residency, the New Graduate Registered Nurse
will be responsible for delegation, supervision, and provision of
nursing care for a designated group of patients through utilization
of the nursing process. They will provide age-appropriate care and
will participate in research when appropriate and incorporate
research findings into evidence-based clinical practice.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing. Current
registration or eligibility for licensure with the State of
Illinois for practice as a professional nurse.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Current Hepatitis b vaccination
- Will complete additional training or demonstrate competency in
skills identified in the unit-specific competency plan and skills
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and
strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security
operations for the protection of people, data, property, and
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas
presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce
answers that make sense.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules
- Gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking
time to understand the points being made, asking questions as
appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to see details at close range.
- Actively looks for ways to help people.
- Understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related
- Awareness of other's reactions and understanding why they react
as they do.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and
weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to
problems. General Skill Requirements
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed
above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also
possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes
approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with
frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular
schedule such as unscheduled overtime, unanticipated changes in
work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality - Schedules time off in advance;
Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures
work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings
and appointments on time.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally;
Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good
listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed;
Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations;
Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and
pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works
cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge;
Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of
current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays
understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources
- Judgment - displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits
sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for
decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain
- Problem solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner;
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative
solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group
problem solving situations.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays
commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work
to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in
timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly;
Achieves established goals.
- Concentration - Maintains attention to detail over extended
period of time; continually aware of variations in changing
- Supervision - ability to perform work independently or with
minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train
and/or evaluate other employees. Environmental Factors
This position is performed within an environment of frequent
exposure to blood and body fluids.
The physical demands described are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is
regularly required walk, stand, stoop to floor level, kneel and
assist in lifting patient; to assist patients and/or adjust
equipment at floor level; to reach, change and read IV's 5 feet
from the floor unaided; to support weight of persons 200 pounds or
more in emergency situations.
- Ability to attend to visual details.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to receive and comprehend written and oral
- Ability to read 5 feet from the floor unaided.
- Ability to utilize fine motor control in hands, the ability to
hear, and the ability to meet visual demands.
- The employee will frequently be required to lift, push and pull
weight of at least 5 to 50 pounds. Mental Demands
- Ability to work under stress and adapt to changing
- Analyze information or data.
- Plan sequence of operations or actions.
- Make decisions of moderate to substantial effects, with a
variety of alternatives and moderate to substantial
- Use logic to define problems, collect information, establish
facts, draw valid conclusions, interpret information, deal with
- Comprehend written basic instructions, safety rules, office
memoranda at a high school graduate level.
- Ability to compose written communication using standard
business English at a high school graduate level.
- Ability to comprehend verbal sentences and instructions at a
high school graduate level.
- Ability to converse in Standard English at a high school
graduate level. Note:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise
qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to
meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other
duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.
E ssential Functions and Job Duties
- CLINICAL JUDGEMENT - Clinical reasoning, which includes
decision-making, critical thinking, and a global grasp of the
situation, coupled with nursing skills acquired through a process
of integrating formal and informal experiential knowledge and
- Demonstrates the ability to assess the full scope of patient
needs, using the nursing process on a continuous basis.
- Utilizes past nursing experience to anticipate problems while
seeking out multi-disciplinary collaboration with comfort, when
- Recognizes patterns and trends that may predict the direction
- CARING PRACTICES: Nursing activity that create a compassionate,
supportive, and therapeutic environment for patients/families and
staff. Working on another's behalf and representing the concerns of
the patient/family and nursing staff; serving as a moral agent in
identifying and helping to resolve ethical and clinical concerns
within and outside the clinical setting.
- Promotes safety throughout patient's and family's transitions
along the healthcare continuum.
- Actively anticipates and monitors patient and family changes,
- Effectively resolves patient complaints.
- Engages all patients in a personalized, compassionate
- COLLABORATION/SYSTEMS THINKING - Working with others (e.g.,
patients, families, healthcare providers) in a way that
promotes/encourages each person's contribution toward achieving
optimal/realistic patient/family goals. Involves intra-and inter-
disciplinary work with colleagues and community..... click apply
for full job details
Keywords: Memorial Health, Decatur , New Graduate Registered Nurse, Decatur Memorial Hospital, Healthcare , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!