Certified Surgical Technologist
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Functions as a member of surgical team, maintains sterile
environment for surgical patients of all ages, ensures availability
of case-specific supplies and equipment and passes instruments and
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and
strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security
operations for the protection of people, data, property, and
- Will complete additional training or demonstrate competency in
skills for all age groups and populations served. Additional
training to demonstrate competency will be required for specialty
- Knowledge of anatomical structures and application skills in
tissue handling, retracting, clamping, cutting, suturing, and
exposure retracting in either the assistant or scrub role.
- Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other
individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of surgical equipment
and devices for optimum performance.
- The ability to maintain sustained hand and/or arm position
while moving the opposite hand and/or arm.
- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of
- The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the
fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very
General Skill Requirements
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed
above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also
possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes
approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with
frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular
schedule such as unscheduled hours and flexing work schedule to
accommodate the needs of the department; unanticipated changes in
work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality - Schedules time off in advance;
Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures
work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings
and appointments on time.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally;
Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good
listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed;
Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations;
Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and
pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works
cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge;
Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of
current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays
understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources
- Judgment - displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits
sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for
decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain
- Problem solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner;
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative
solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group
problem solving situations.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays
commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work
to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards-remains productive
between procedures; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to
increase productivity; Works quickly; Achieves established
- Concentration - Maintains attention to detail over extended
period of time; continually aware of variations in changing
- Supervision - ability to perform work independently or with
minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train
and/or evaluate other employees. Education and/or Other
Graduate of a recognized Surgical Technologist program or in the
last semester of an approved program. National certification and
CPR certification are required within 6 months of graduation from
recognized program or within 6 months start date of employment. If
the employee allows certification to lapse they must re-certify
within 3 months from the expiration date or employment can be
suspended or terminated.
- Ensures sterile environment and applies sterile and safe
- Assists in preparation and draping of the patient.
- Assists with operating room setup.
- Wears lead aprons during radiological surgical procedure.
Always wears eye protection and personal protection equipment/uses
hands free zone.
- Reports unsafe conditions.
- Disassembles and decontaminates instruments/supplies.
- Performs as a scrub nurse or assistant, anticipating surgeon's
- Plans for procedures by reviewing case cart and resource
- Sets up and passes instruments, sutures and supplies during
- Identifies specimens with the surgeon and the circulating
nurse, places in appropriate container that is properly labeled.
Transports specimen to appropriate lab pickup area.
- Transports surgery patients as needed.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in cost-effective manner.
- Maintains adequate supplies/par levels for assigned specialty
items (i.e. mesh, staplers, special suture, and ortho
- Updates resource maps on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborates with RN for correct sponge, needle, and instrument
- Achieves goals identified at previous annual or 90 day
- Maintains proficiency in specialties and flexibility in all
- Attends meetings and in-services to further self-growth.
- Completes required Computer Based Learnings (CBL'S) on
- Seeks information from literature and resource persons for all
- Maintains requirements for certification.
- Assists in instructing staff, students, and new employees.
- Adheres to departmental/DMH policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Unscheduled hours and weekly stay-lates.
- Participation in 24-hour call rotation.
Associated topics: cardiac, instructor, ob, operating room
technician, or technician, relief, scrub, sje, surgical core
Keywords: Memorial Health, Decatur , Certified Surgical Technologist, Healthcare , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!