Certified Surgical Tech, Obstetrics (LPN)
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Provides care to post partum, labor and delivery, and nursery
patients as assigned by the registered nurse.
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed
above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also
possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes
approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with
frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular
schedule such as unscheduled overtime, unanticipated changes in
work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality - Schedules time off in advance;
Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures
work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings
and appointments on time.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally;
Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good
listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed;
Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations;
Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and
pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works
cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge;
Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of
current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays
understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources
- Judgment - displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits
sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for
decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain
- Problem solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner;
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative
solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group
problem solving situations.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays
commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work
to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in
timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly;
Achieves established goals.
- Concentration - Maintains attention to detail over extended
period of time; continually aware of variations in changing
- Supervision - ability to perform work independently or with
minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train
and/or evaluate other employees. Education and/or Other
Graduate of an accredited school of practical nursing or a
recognized surgery technician school. LPN's must have current
registration in Illinois for practice as a licensed practical
nurse. Must have successfully completed OB OR Surgical Tech
training at DMH. Must be CPR certified. Six months experience
preferred. One-on-one care training required.
- Admits patients, collects data (vital signs, admission, and
assessment) initially and periodically within the clinical
standards; reports significant variances to registered nurse.
- Establishes workload priorities and offers input into plan of
care for patients; encourages patient participation in plan of
- Provides and documents care within standards of practice,
policies, procedures and protocols consistent with the patient plan
of care under the supervision of an RN.
- Identifies expected outcomes individualized to mother, baby and
other patient needs under RN guidance.
- Demonstrates competency in all required areas, including
department-specific, age-specific, OB OR specific, medication
administration, and use of equipment.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development by:
- Maintaining ongoing continuing education,
- Contributing to professional development of peers, and
- Participating in CQI.
- Maintains sterile environment and applies sterile and safe
- Assists in preparation and draping of the patient.
- Wears lead aprons, eye protection and personal protection
- Reports unsafe conditions.
- Disassembles and decontaminates setup.
- Performs as a scrub nurse, anticipating surgeon's needs
- Plans for procedures by reviewing case cart set-up.
- Sets up and passes instruments, sutures and supplies during
- First assist physician with delivery of C-section infants.
- Set up and assist physician with vaginal delivery.
- Identifies specimens with the surgeon and the circulating
- Transports surgery patients.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in cost-effective manner.
- Maintains and orders adequate supplies.
- Updates procedure/preference cards.
- When assigned one-on-one care to a patient that is perceived to
be harmful to themselves or others, positions self in patient room
at bedside to maintain constant visual observation of the patient
and remain within arm's length of patient. Never leaves the patient
alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Current CPR card.
- Hepatitis b vaccination.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and
strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security
operations for the protection of people, data, property, and
- Competency in skills identified in the unit-specific competence
plan and skills list.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adjust actions in relation to others' actions.
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of
potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Ability to watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make
sure a machine is working properly.
- Ability to maintain sterile technique.
Associated topics: licensed, licensed practical, licensed
vocational, lpn, lvn, med surg, mtp, nurse ii, nurse iv, practical
Keywords: Memorial Health, Decatur , Certified Surgical Tech, Obstetrics (LPN), Healthcare , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!