Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Medical Assistant-Certified, DMH-Surgery Clinics (Outpatient)
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: August 3, 2022
Performs nursing care procedures involving initial patient
assessment, evaluation, and preliminary testing to meet patient
needs; assists Physician with the care of patient.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Current CPR card.
- Strong computer skills for documentation purposes in the
electronic medical record.
- Must possess good nursing assessment and judgment skills.
- Must have good communication skills and documentation
- Must have the ability and desire to function well with
providers, nursing staff, and outside health care agencies and
- Must readily understand verbal and written instructions; must
be able to explain them clearly to patients.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and
strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security
operations for the protection of people, data, property, and
- Ability to adjust actions in relation to others' actions.
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of
potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Ability to watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make
sure a machine is working properly.
General Skill Requirements
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed
above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also
possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes
approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with
frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular
schedule such as unscheduled overtime, unanticipated changes in
work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality - Schedules time off in advance;
Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures
work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings
and appointments on time.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally;
Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good
listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed;
Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations;
Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and
pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works
cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge;
Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of
current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays
understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources
- Judgment - displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits
sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for
decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process;
Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain
- Problem solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner;
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative
solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group
problem solving situations.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays
commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote
quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work
to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in
timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly;
Achieves established goals.
- Concentration - Maintains attention to detail over extended
period of time; continually aware of variations in changing
- Supervision - ability to perform work independently or with
minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train
and/or evaluate other employees. Education and/or Other
Must possess a current Illinois Licensed Practical Nurse
certification. Must be a graduate of an approved school of
practical nursing. Previous experience in an ambulatory care
setting is preferred.
This position is performed within an environment of potential for
exposure to blood and body fluids.
The physical demands described are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required
to stand, bend and reach.
- The employee will occasionally be required to lift, push and
pull weight of at least one to 5 pounds.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required
to perform repetitive hand motion and good body posture due to
extended use of computer systems for patient documentation and
- Ability to work under stress and adapt to variable and
unpredictable conditions. Note
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise
qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to
meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other
duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Collects and documents data regarding physical, psychological,
and educational needs of patients of all ages.
- Differentiates among emergent, urgent, and non-urgent patients.
- Identifies signs or symptoms, which indicate a significant
- Reports variances to Provider.
- Establishes priorities in clinic setting and collaborates with
Provider regarding plan of care.
- Offers input to plan of care.
- Educates patient in plan of care; coordinates and communicates
plan of care with the patient and/or patient's family.
- Screens telephone calls from patients and evaluates for
- Conducts pre-authorization for medication and ordered tests;
completes appropriate forms. Schedules specialized procedures at
the hospital; monitors need for follow-up.
- Arranges outside laboratory tests.
- Assists physicians by preparing patients and setting up
- Shares with nursing staff daily scheduling of patients with
acute and/or urgent problems.
- Performs as a team nurse with Providers.
- Reports ideas, concerns, and problems to
- Scans and accurately indexes patient records from outside
sources in the electronic health record for Provider
- Reviews patient medical records from previous physician to
incorporate pertinent information into patient's completed
- Under the supervision of a Physician, provides and documents
care according to established standards of practice, policies, and
procedures, and follows Physician orders.
- Prepares equipment for diagnosis and treatment; prepares
- Performs blood draws test (where applicable), treatments, and
screenings, and assists with examinations and minor surgery; sets
up and assists with procedures; cleans and sterilizes instruments
and equipment as needed.
- Administers medications and immunizations according to
- Runs laboratory controls, keeps lab logs and maintains OSHA log
- Assists in inventory of clinical supplies; checks expiration
dates; maintains clean, well-equipped exam rooms, laboratory and
- Assumes personal responsibility for quality patient care,
environment of care, and professional development.
- Assists in coordinating and implementing policies in compliance
with all regulatory standards.
- Reports ideas and concerns to supervisor concerning improved
patient care, customer service, and efficient clinical
- Maintains clean, well-equipped exam room and assists in
- Attends meetings, in-services, and continuing education
classes; suggests topics and/or conducts nursing in-services.
- Assists with maintenance of patient medical records.
- Demonstrates department specific competencies, including age
specific competencies for all ages.
- Arranges for medication refills.
- Shares knowledge, nursing skills, experience, and patient
education advice with physicians.
- Supports and maintains joint commission standard.
- Attends nursing in-service and continuing education
- Documents vitals, history, meds, procedures and instructions
according to DMH policies and unit standards.
- Demonstrates care and knowledge in medication
- Arranges for medication and medication refills.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Associated topics: advanced,
arnp c, cna, cnm, cns, community, family medicine, family nurse
practioner, practice, prn
Keywords: Memorial Health, Decatur , Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Medical Assistant-Certified, DMH-Surgery Clinics (Outpatient), Healthcare , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!