New Graduate Registered Nurse, Surgery, Decatur Memorial Hospital
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Manages, coordinates and performs nursing care with compassion and
care for an assigned group of patients and their families and
incorporate preventative measures. NURSING GOAL: A goal of nursing
is to educate and restore a patient to an optimal level of wellness
as defines by the patient and their families and incorporate
Education and/or Other Requirements Graduate of an accredited
school of professional nursing. Current registration or eligibility
for licensure with the State of Illinois for practice as a
professional nurse. Qualifications To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Current Hepatitis b vaccination
- Will complete additional training or demonstrate competency in
skills identified in the unit-specific competency plan and skills
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and
strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security
operations for the protection of people, data, property, and
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas
presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce
answers that make sense.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules
- Gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking
time to understand the points being made, asking questions as
appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to see details at close range.
- Actively looks for ways to help people.
- Understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related
- Awareness of other's reactions and understanding why they react
as they do.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and
weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to
problems.Environmental Factors This position is performed within an
environment of frequent exposure to blood and body fluids. Physical
Demands The physical demands described are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is
regularly required walk, stand, stoop to floor level, kneel and
assist in lifting patient; to assist patients and/or adjust
equipment at floor level; to reach, change and read IV's 5 feet
from the floor unaided; to support weight of persons 200 pounds or
more in emergency situations.
- Ability to attend to visual details.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to receive and comprehend written and oral
- Ability to read 5 feet from the floor unaided.
- Ability to utilize fine motor control in hands, the ability to
hear, and the ability to meet visual demands.
- The employee will frequently be required to lift, push and pull
weight of at least 5 to 50 pounds. Mental Demands
- Ability to work under stress and adapt to changing
- Analyze information or data.
- Plan sequence of operations or actions.
- Make decisions of moderate to substantial effects, with a
variety of alternatives and moderate to substantial
- Use logic to define problems, collect information, establish
facts, draw valid conclusions, interpret information, deal with
- Comprehend written basic instructions, safety rules, office
memoranda at a high school graduate level.
- Ability to compose written communication using standard
business English at a high school graduate level.
- Ability to comprehend verbal sentences and instructions at a
high school graduate level.
- Ability to converse in Standard English at a high school
graduate level.Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to
assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the
job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be
assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described
- CLINICAL JUDGEMENT - Clinical reasoning, which includes
decision-making, critical thinking, and a global grasp of the
situation, coupled with nursing skills acquired through a process
of integrating formal and informal experiential knowledge and
- Demonstrates the ability to assess the full scope of patient
needs, using the nursing process on a continuous basis.
- Utilizes past nursing experience to anticipate problems while
seeking out multi-disciplinary collaboration with comfort, when
- Recognizes patterns and trends that may predict the direction
- CARING PRACTICES: Nursing activity that create a compassionate,
supportive, and therapeutic environment for patients/families and
staff. Working on another's behalf and representing the concerns of
the patient/family and nursing staff; serving as a moral agent in
identifying and helping to resolve ethical and clinical concerns
within and outside the clinical setting.
- Promotes safety throughout patient's and family's transitions
along the healthcare continuum.
- Actively anticipates and monitors patient and family changes,
- Effectively resolves patient complaints.
- Engages all patients in a personalized, compassionate
- COLLABORATION/SYSTEMS THINKING - Working with others (e.g.,
patients, families, healthcare providers) in a way that
promotes/encourages each person's contribution toward achieving
optimal/realistic patient/family goals. Involves intra-and inter-
disciplinary work with colleagues and community. Body of knowledge
and tools that allow the nurse to manage whatever Environmental and
system resources exist for the patient/family and staff, within or
across healthcare and non-healthcare systems.
- Consults and coordinates with team members to assess, plan,
implement and evaluate patient care plans.
- Actively utilizes evidence-based practice and customer service
data to improve caring practices.
- Effectively plans and communicates patient care plans.
- Facilitates active involvement of others in team meetings
regarding patient care and/or practice issues.
- Seeks out opportunities to be taught, coached, and
- Recruits diverse resources when appropriate to optimize patient
- Serves as a resource to department and patient/family.
- RESPONSE TO DIVERSITY - The sensitivity to recognize,
appreciate and incorporate differences into the provision of care.
Differences may include, but are not limited to, cultural
differences, personalities, spiritual beliefs, gender, race,
ethnicity, lifestyle, socioeconomic status, age, and values.
- Integrates cultural differences into patient/family care;
incorporates appropriate alternative therapies.
- Tailors healthcare culture to meet the diverse needs and
strengths of each patient/family.
- FACILITATION OF LEARNING - The ability to facilitate learning
for patients/families, nursing staff, other members of the
healthcare team, and community. Include both formal and informal
facilitation of learning.
- Develops and modifies patient/family education programs
throughout delivery of care, collaborating and incorporating all
healthcare providers' and educational plans.
- Provides individualized care.
- Evaluates patient's understanding by observing behavior changes
throughout plan of care.
- Sets patient-driven goals for education.
- Work toward achieving Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- CLINICAL INQUIRY (INNOVATOR/EVALUATOR) - The ongoing process of
questioning and evaluating practice and providing informed
practice. Creating practice changes through research utilization
and experimental learning.
- Adapts standards of care to serve particular patient
- Seeks out advice to improve patient care.
- Evaluates current practices based on patient responses,
analysis of literature, research, and education.
- Incorporates evidence based practice into care delivery.
- Actively pursues continuing educational opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Memorial Health, Decatur , New Graduate Registered Nurse, Surgery, Decatur Memorial Hospital, Healthcare , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!