Under limited supervision, the Microbiologist I is responsible
for performing microbiological testing of products and raw
materials, reading environmental monitoring plates from controlled
areas, microbial identification work and other applicable
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform routine microbiological testing of products according
to SOPs and Methods.
- Documents routine procedures following laboratory and company
- Reviews and approves work performed by technician and
- Plans and performs investigations of failing products results
and environmental monitoring results.
- Performs microscopic analysis of products and commodities.
- Performs microbiological identifications.
- Coordinates and tracks testing required for completion of
Microbial Product Development Report (MPDR). Issue Status reports
and writes Product Development Report.
- Approves product specification for release in management
- Assist generating deviation and investigation reports under the
supervision of Microbiology Supervisor.
- Perform the microbiological support for media fill inspection
as per SOPs.
- Assist on the generation of outside source information
retrieval and evaluation in support of special project work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Ability to meet attendance standards.
All full-time employees are required to work a 40-hr week.
At times it may be necessary to work additional hours in order
to get the required tasks accomplished to meet deadlines.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university
with Major in Microbiology and one to two years related experience
and/or training; or MS degree and no previous Pharmaceutical
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, MENTAL REQUIREMENTS, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Must be able to perform
repetitive laboratory functions requiring extensive use of hand and
Mental Requirements include:
- Ability to hear accurately the spoken word with moderate office
noise or plant noise
- Ability to apply deductive reasoning and understand complicated
- Ability to receive instructions and follow work rules and
- Ability to follow safety and security practices
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively deal with office
- Ability to accurately communicate ideas, facts and technical
- Maintain confidentiality of certain information