Transportation Procurement Specialist
This position is member of Supply Chain Procurement team whose
purpose is to develop and implement effective regional
procurement transportation (rail, bulk, ocean) strategies, supplier
relationship management and delivery of short term
and long-term financial plans.
At Tate & Lyle, we are dedicated to making more than
extraordinary ingredients. We are a purpose driven company
dedicated to improving lives for generations through supporting
healthy living, building thriving communities, and caring for our
Tate & Lyle Transportation Procurement is focused on delivering
cost effective, efficient, and reliable suppliers to satisfy the
needs of the Transportation function. Our team manages
suppliers related to all modes of transportation including bulk
rail, bulk truck, DryVan Trucking, Intermodal and International
Shipping. Our largest mode of transportation includes bulk
rail transportation through class-1 railroads, lease agreements for
our over 5,000 railcars and rail service suppliers.
About the role
The Transportation Procurement Specialist will be responsible
for negotiations, contractual agreements, vendor risk management,
assessing near and long-term plans and ensuring Tate &
Lyle capacity requirements meet business
demand. The role will define strategies to improve
delivered price, enhance customer experience while
driving creative capacity management ensuring longevity of a
nimble Supply Chain.
This position brings expertise and insight into logistics
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing category strategic sourcing
strategies, best practices, risk mitigation and appropriate
- Vigorous and dynamic supplier performance management targeting
improved service execution, joint continuous improvement
initiatives driving overall lower total cost.
- Managing all regional spend for the category negotiating
through eRFI’s and eRFP’s. Develop selection criteria and create
streamlined business processes.
- Researching and analyzing market data fundamentals providing
information on category trends. Redirecting category strategy when
appropriate with thorough analytics and good understanding of
regional market dynamics.
- Ensuring compliance with all internal processes and approvals
for the North America region.
- Developing and ownership of supplier relationships and managing
agreed upon vendor KPI metrics.
- Developing budget pricing forecasts and the strategy to achieve
- Developing influential and positive stakeholder relationships
across the group to ensure category buy-in.
- Ensuring appropriate and robust commercial
arrangements are defined which meet the dynamic business
- Establishing, leading and supporting cross-functional category
- Ensuring savings targets and reporting requirements are met in
a timely manner.
- Challenging business requirements and specification where
appropriate to deliver best value.
- Collaborating with Finance, Business, Sales, Manufacturing and
Quality management to ensure common understanding of needs and
alignment of procurement approach.
- Driving an innovative, lean & continuous improvement culture
within supply chain and procurement demonstrating Tate & Lyle is a
shipper of choice and preferred supplier.
- Exuding a culture of honesty, integrity and trust in all
business dealings both in and outside the organization.
What you’ll need to have
The person is a self-starter with a proven record of
accomplishment in Strategic Procurement and Category management.
Experience in building mutual relationships with key
carriers/vendors, this person will effectively establish business
needs, matching creative solutions to meet those needs. Their
experience will have been gained in a fast paced, dynamic industry
where the emphasis is on relationships, solution benefit, meeting
challenging targets, customer satisfaction and delivering business
Essential to do the job:
- Proven expertise in Transportation procurement management,
inclusive of operational experience.
- Well-developed commercial mind-set and logistics
market knowledge in the transportation categories of rail
freight procurement/operations, 3rd party bulk transfer
locations, and over-the-road freight procurement.
- Understand and ability to successfully develop and manage
- Proven track record of strategic procurement and category
management with small, medium and large carriers/vendors.
- Self-starter, outcome-oriented individual with a proven track
record of delivering savings targets by developing excellent
stakeholder relationships both within and outside the
- Track record of working successfully in cross functional teams
to serve business needs, develop a compelling selling proposition,
and negotiate win-win contract agreements.
- Understand unique delivery requirements with determination and
willingness to win customer accounts regardless of complexity.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill.
- Well-developed presentation skills.
- Ability to manage numerous competing priorities and deadline
- Strong competency in complex negotiations
- A degree in Supply Chain, Business Administration,
International Trade or Engineering with consideration to years of
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- Solid understanding of the contracting cycle with ability
to apply knowledge in every carrier interaction and
become a trusted advisor within the organization.
- Experience in successfully delivering category management in a
- Systems experience with Oracle and SAP would be
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills, Microsoft email
and MS office suite of standard programs.
- Experience and understanding of risk management tools and
- Performing market assessments, trends and recommending
mitigation action plans.
- Positive outlook cultivating team performance and morale.
- Willingness to travel 15% domestically in support of category
and business requirements.
This role is based from our Decatur, Illinois office but note
that we are fully remote working until later this year, with only
occasional travel into the respective offices for meetings,
What we can offer you
At Tate & Lyle you will have to opportunity to drive end to end
to end solutions, while owning a high level of accountability and
ownership. Additionally, you will have access to:
- Flexible working policy
- Competitive salary & bonus eligibility (based on business
- Healthcare/Medical insurance
- Life insurance
California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA")
The Company is committed to complying with the California
Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and all data privacy and laws in the
jurisdictions in which it recruits and hires employees. We collect
the following categories of personal information for the purpose of
hiring the best qualified applicants and to comply with applicable
employment laws: Name and contact information; Job preference and
work availability; Social Security Number and/or other
identification information; Education and qualifications;
Employment history and experience; Military service; Reference and
background check information, including relevant criminal history
and credit history; Social media information; Pre-employment test
results; Post-offer medical examination information and results,
including drug test results; Voluntary self-disclosure information
regarding minority, veteran, and disability status; and Information
provided by you during the hiring process.
Tate & Lyle is an equal opportunity employer, committed to
the strength of an inclusive workforce.