Lead Scientist, Wholesome Food Solutions - Decatur, IL
Company: Archer Daniels Midland Company
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Lead Scientist, Wholesome Food Solutions, Decatur, IL
Research & Development
This is an exempt position.
The research group of Archer Daniels Midland Company is actively
seeking an individual to serve as Lead Scientist in Science and
Technology for Wholesome Food Solutions. The position will serve
the following primary functions:
- Serve as an ADM subject matter expert in wholesome food
solutions, working closely with ingredient specialists and product
developers to optimize current and new wholesome ingredients across
the wholesome food spectrum, including snacks, bars, and adjacent
systems, experience working in other foods application is a
- Provide technical guidance on formulation/production for
customers using ADM ingredients in food applications, when
- Apply knowledge of experimental design, sensory science,
performance specifications, and technical tools in food product
design using of wholesome food ingredients in food
- Identify and guide the research and development of new
wholesome food ingredients to further expand into different food
- This scientist should have experience in formulating various
food applications, such as snacks/bakery products, nutritional
mixes/beverages, meat alternatives, and dairy/dairy alternatives,
with an understanding of production and able to provide technical
solutions for troubleshooting.
- Act as the subject matter expert on wholesome food solutions
for snacks/bars/bakery products including future opportunities with
other wholesome products, such as nutritional mixes/beverages, meat
alternatives, and dairy/dairy alternatives.
- Provide guidance and support to internal and external
customers, colleagues, and teams based on the technical and
scientific knowledge of ingredient interactions.
- Evaluate wholesome and novel ingredients for their suitability
in snacks, bars, and other food applications with respect to
nutrition, functionality, stability, processing, and food
- Provide feedback to ingredient experts on existing or new
functional ingredients to optimize their performance in wholesome
- Able to design food prototypes using wholesome food ingredients
to achieve specific nutritional benefits, functionality,
performance, and overall sensory targets.
- Participate on global applications platform teams to share
expertise and information across the company to drive more unique
wholesome foods to the customer.
- Work closely with sensory science department to generate data
needed for marketing and development purposes and to understand
flavor and texture changes in applications over shelf-life.
- Provide internal and external training in the use of wholesome
ingredients in food concepts including, but not limited to,
bars/snack systems through presentations, from bench top to scale
- Participate on cross-functional teams with colleagues from
Sales, Marketing, Operations, Technology, etc. as the needed.
- Gain and maintain excellent knowledge of the wholesome food
market, manufacturers, and customer trends by working closely with
ADM marketing groups and attending webinars and trade shows.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Food Science or related field of
study, Masters or higher preferred.
- Must have 5-10 years' experience actively developing snacks
and/or bars, knowledge in other applications is a plus.
- Good understanding of ingredient science, interactions, and
functionality in food applications in the development of clean
- Strong expertise utilizing functional and wholesome ingredients
such as proteins, fibers, and sweeteners in food applications.
- Basic understanding of FDA's nutrition facts and ingredient
- Must be willing to work on the bench actively
developing/evaluating snack and other applications.
- Fundamental knowledge of formulation and processing to change
flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, or physical, chemical,
and microbiological composition of snack applications.
- Good understanding of characterization and analytical test
methods associated through food chemistry and food analysis.
- Possess excellent project management skills to prioritize
projects and move multiple projects to completion
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated, can
- Possess openness to expanding knowledge in other application
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and the ability to work
and relate directly to individuals from the areas of food science,
production, sales, marketing, and commercial teams.
- Must be a team player and have good written and verbal
- The position requires approximately 20% travel and will be
based in Decatur, IL.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including
401K/ESOP, pension, health, life, vision, and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of a pre-employment drug
screen and a background check.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veteran
About ADM:At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access
to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a
complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste,
and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in
solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We're a
global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world's premier
agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth,
depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us
unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health
and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of
the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn
more at www.adm.com.EEOADM is an equal opportunity employer and
makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability and veterans status.Ref ID#LI-NA2
Keywords: Archer Daniels Midland Company, Decatur , Lead Scientist, Wholesome Food Solutions - Decatur, IL, Other , Decatur, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!